Sunday, October 25, 2009

Close To Failure, Far From Perfect....








I first saw Alone In The Wilderness about 4 years ago on PBS. It's one of those documentaries that you have to watch every time that it is on TV. Kinda like the Goonies or Wedding Crashers.....it's an addiction. Watching this guy live his life alone with his own thoughts day after day makes me admire him. He wasn't afraid of a thing. The cold, bears, wolves, disease, and lack of company could not get Dick Proenneke down. He built his own cabin, shot his own food, and fished for his dinner on the regular while filming most of it on a tripod. Alaska is so beautiful and he makes it look like heaven on earth. So the post title is the way he lived his life while in Alaska, well that's the way I feel about it at least. See, he was so close to death on the daily, and if he would of died out there that would of been his failure. Soooo close. Just surviving was so far fetched but he did for 35 years, that's what makes my man so perfect. Being a failure in life is something I know we all fear, well at least I do.....and we are so close to it everyday, it can be scary. Just watch this dude and see the inner peace he is at with himself, nature, and life and hope we can all be there too one day!

Here is Pt 1 of 6 on Youtube, you can watch the rest....

Cool songs on a cool night of drunkness...



1 comment:

  1. Matthew Richard KendigNovember 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM

    My three heros in life are: My mom, Me, and Dick Proenneke.

    ReplyDelete