Monday, October 12, 2009

World Champions of Frankford

As many as you know I'm a huge football fan! I love the Eagles and I always check to see how my Temple Owls are doing....BTW, they are 3-2 and on a 3 game win streak. Nice work Mr. Golden. Anyways, I am from the Frankford section of Philly. A tough neighborhood of hard workers, union hands, and politics. It's also a huge high school sports neighborhood being that Frankford HS always wins a Public League title in some sport year after year. In the 1920's and early 30's, the little ol' neighborhood of FKD had their own NFL franchise and a World Champion team in 1926. This is crazy for me to think that my hood once held an NFL team. I could not imagine having a team these days there, it would be literally insane. Frankford Stadium saw the likes of Jim Thorpe and Red Grange, two American sports legends. Frankford held the NFL record for wins with 14 set in 1926. This record was not broken until the 1984 San Francisco 49ers. WOW...it took Joe Montana to break a 60 year old record. Unreal. Take a look at some pics of the Frankford Yellow Jackets from 1924-1931.








No comments:

Post a Comment